Tuesday, April 3, 2018

BOD, Inside Out



I'm not sure if that's a thing or not.
I may have made it up....

But,
In the quilting world
BOM
stands for block of the month,
so I figure BOD
should be block of the day.


Yesterday morning,
worn out from a very long week of going 
and doing
and being around loads of people,
I gave myself permission to chill.

I was just about finished with my coffee
when I read Amanda Jean's Friday post.

I told myself I could click on one link, 
and then I needed to get moving.
(A day off for a momma isn't really a day OFF,
so much as a day of less...)

Well.
That one link I clicked on 

Turns out,
the '30 blocks'
was a quilt a long!

30 (super easy) blocks 
in 30 days.

I thought,

I can do this!

I'm going to do this!!

I dug around in my tub of vintage sheets
and found one to use for a backing
and then I went to the old house
and pulled 30 fabrics to go with it.
I found a piece of another vintage sheet
to use as my background
(sorta - more on that in a minute)
And the perfect fabric for binding
(California Dreamin' ~squeal~)


I have never been so giddy with a fabric pull before!

Okay;
maybe I have.
But I was pretty happy!

I laid it on the floor to take a picture
then set it on the tv cabinet thing
and every time I passed it,
I smiled.
Oh, this was going to be fun.


I was a little worried about how much background fabric 
I had
(or rather, didn't have)
so I did some basic math,
calculating how many square inches I had
and how many were listed in the fabric requirements.

Turns out I was right.
I didn't have enough.

But I did have enough square inches 
of the background polka dots
to use as the main fabric
if I were doing a 2 fabric quilt,
so I decided I'd make my blocks
inside out.


I cleared a path
and a 3x5 ft space in the library,
and swept the floor.

I brought in our folding camp table
and wiped if off.

I found a chicken work light in the attic
and hung it 
from the hinge of an uninstalled door.

Josiah helped me bring over my machine
and cutting tools,
the daylight lamp,
the little TV tray pressing board,
and my tiny iron.

I excitedly set my fabric stack
next to the newly assigned 'ruler bin'.


I thought about 
how I had planned to sew with leaders and enders
this year
and ran back over to the house to get the box of fabric
I'd set aside for my first L&E project
and set it on the table next the the lamp.

I grabbed a piece of leftover carpet pad
just the right size for standing on while I press and cut
and dropped it on the (sub)floor.

And then 
I cooked dinner.

Real life, People.

After everyone went to bed,
I cut fabric.

And when I got up this morning,
I sewed!
For the first time in over 9 weeks.
😊😊😊


It's not going to be a masterpiece,
but it'll sure be fun!



(I got a little carried away
sewing my leaders/enders
and sewed up all that I'd cut.
So I cut 5 more blocks worth.
And then I sewed those up too)


2 comments:

  1. It must have felt so good to be back at the sewing machine! And it seems you had a flow :-) Georgeous fabric pull!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)